Do-It-Yourself Attic Lift Installation
We recommend that your SpaceLift 5200-S Series attic lift be installed by a licensed and insured contractor. You and your contractor will need to read and refer to the two PDF documents available for download below. The first is the SpaceLift 5200-S Series Site Selection Guide, which will help you choose the appropriate model and optimal location for your new attic lift. The second is the complete SpaceLift 5200-S Series Installation and Operation manual.
Note: The following is a quick summary. Instructions are provided in the PDF files above. Please read them completely before you begin.
Step 1 - Site Selection
The SpaceLift 5200-S Series cargo lift can be used in one of two ways: As an attic lift, taking stuff up through the ceiling for storage; or, as a basement lift, transporting items down through the floor for storage in the other direction. Either way, you need to consider the following to choose the proper place for installation:
- Ceiling height (travel distance) of up to 15 feet. The cargo platform needs to be able to rest securely on the floor during loading and unloading. Permitting it to hang in the air is not recommended.
- Ceiling/floor thickness - The ceiling drywall, joist and floor covering is to be between 7 and 14 inches in total depth, measured from the finished surface above to the finished surface below.
- Rough framed opening - Model 5228: 28.5 x 58 inches; Model 5222: 22.5 x 60 inches.
- Finished floor - Must be level and finished with 1/2 to 3/4-inch plywood or comparable material before the unit is installed.
- Power required - Dedicated 15 amp circuit.
- Electrical outlet - A power supply (110 to 120 VAC) to be located within 4 feet of the SpaceLift motor.
- Remote control unit - The optional wall-mounted control unit is to be located within clear view of the unit. There must be a suitable route for the CAT-5 cable (25-foot cable supplied with unit) between the lift and the remote control unit.
Step 2 - Opening Preparation
The roughed-in inch opening is to be square and oriented with the longer side parallel to the ceiling joists. 2 x 2 inch wood mounting strips are installed at the bottom of the headers upon which the unit will rest. 1 x 2 inch wood mounting strips are to be installed on the sides for support and a finished look (see install instructions).
Step 3 - Lift System Installation
To install, the lift must be raised above the framed opening, assembled, then carefully lowered into the opening until it rests on the mounting strips. Shims may then be added to center the unit and eliminate possible horizontal "play" in the mounting.
Step 4 - Optional Remote Control Unit Mounting
Standard controls are found on the motor housing. The optional remote control unit is mounted in a 1-gang low voltage electrical box (supplied with unit). It must be at least 4 feet above the floor, clear of any obstructions, and within a clear line of sight to the attic lift. CAT-5 cable (standard network cable) connects the SpaceLift 5200-S Series unit and the remote.
Step 5 - Ceiling Cover Installation
The SpaceLift 5200-S Series lifts have a reinforced aluminum ceiling cover that closes the opening when the unit stows. The ceiling cover attaches to the underside of the lift platform, when the platform is in a lowered position, with springs and threaded standoffs. Once the springs and standoffs are adjusted the travel limit is set on the control panel and installation is complete.
SpaceLift 5200-S Series Specs
- Lift Weight Capacity: 200 lbs
- Joist/Ceiling Depth: 7 to 14 inches
- Open Truss Floor/Attic Construction
- Ceiling Height Range: Up to 15 feet
- Power Requirement: Dedicated 15 amp circuit
- Electrical Outlet: Within 4 feet (110 - 120 VAC)
- Lift Platform Speed: 3 inches/sec
- Operator Panel: Up/down buttons with key lock
- Tethers: 500-lb rated poly-web straps
- Obstacle Detection: Both directions
- Unit Weight: 75-88 lbs Protected by U.S. Patent No. 8,292,031
Model 5228-S Dimensions
- Unit Dimensions: 7 H x 28 W x 57.5 L inches
- Rough Opening: 28.5 x 58 inches (+/- 1/8 inch)
- Platform Area: 24 x 41 inches
Model 5222-S Dimensions
- Unit Dimensions: 7 H x 22 W x 57.5 L inches
- Rough Opening: 22.5 x 58 inches (+/- 1/8 inch)
- Platform Area: 18 x 41 inches